Just Listed: 2151 Thornwood Avenue, Wilmette, IL
Here's a terrific opportunity to get into popular Kenilworth Gardens for under $600,000.
If you've considered moving to Wilmette's desirable Kenilworth Gardens neighborhood you've probably discovered that most homes here run from the $800,000s to well over $1,000,000. But this little gem offers you a chance to own a well-maintained and very livable house that you can update as time and funds allow.
As you enter the foyer you are welcomed by a spacious living room flooded with light from the large bay window and warmed by a wood-burning fireplace. Next to the living room is a dining room that leads to the eat-in kitchen. The cabinets are original but the appliances have been updated over the last few years. A powder room and a screened-in porch complete the first floor.
Upstairs are three large bedrooms with plenty of closet space and a hall bath. There are hardwood floors on both the first and second levels.
Several things make this charming home an especially good value
1) The dining room opens to a delightful screened in porch, where you will while away warm summer evenings sipping a glass of wine and watching the kids catch lightning bugs in the back yard. You could also convert the porch into a family room, if you need more indoor space.
2) The eat-in kitchen is more spacious than most of the original kitchens you'll find in older Kenilworth Gardens homes. It could definitely use an update, but there is plenty of space for both a table and an island or peninsula.
3) The bedrooms are BIG. Usually the older homes in the neighborhood have a couple of decent-sized bedrooms and one tiny room that only works as a nursery or an office. Even the smallest of the three bedrooms in this house is a generous size.
4) There are two walk-in closets in the master bedroom; one of these backs up to the hall bath, so it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to convert to an en suite master bath.
5) The basement is large and has good ceiling height. With some drywall and carpet it can quickly be transformed into a terrific rec room or play room. And you don't need to worry about flooding or seepage. This basement has been waterproofed and has drain tile, a sump pump with back-up battery and window-well drains. It is clean and dry!
6) The one-car attached garage is extra wide, so you can actually fit your car as well as bikes, lawnmower, garbage cans and tools in there.
All told, updating the kitchen, converting a closet to a bath and finishing the basement can be done for under $80,000, and you will have a house easily worth $800,000+. That's a pretty good ROI.
You're also buying the lifestyle
Let's not forget the other perks of living here:
- Award-winning schools. Harper Elementary is a five minute walk. Highcrest Middle School and Wilmette Junior High are also walkable or bikeable.
- Wilmette has an outstanding park district, with an ice rink, swimming pools, tennis courts (indoor and outdoor), theater, fitness center and more.
- East access to the Metra - the Kenilworth Station is an eight-minute walk, and from there it's a 35 minute ride to the Loop.
- A friendly neighborhood where there's always something going on. There are playgroups and block parties, a neighborhood egg hunt in the spring and a rock concert in the park in the summer. On Halloween you'll see both kids and their parents taking part in the trick-or-treating fun.
How to see this home:
Have your agent schedule an appointment to see the home or plan to visit our open house on Sunday, February 11 from 1:00-3:00pm. The seller is represented by Anne West of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage. Please call for more information: 847-687-5957
Wondering what your home is worth in today's market? You can get an instant value here.